Thursday, October 20, 2011

VoiceThread Reflection

        VoiceThread is a way to share multimedia information online. After simply uploading pictures, voice comments can be made to describe and communicate the photo. Users can also doodle on their photos to highlight significant details. VoiceThread easily lends itself to collaboration as comments can be made in multiple ways. Voice clips, text, and video (via web cam) can record comments from people that are shared the link to the VoiceThread.
      I especially enjoyed using VoiceThread because it was user friendly and required no installation of software or fees. VoiceThread allows users to upload photos from other online storage sites, such as Flickr or Facebook. After organizing a few photos from my classroom, and adding a few from my Flickr account, I was able to arrange them in a sequence for my slideshow. Next, I recorded my voice using a built in microphone in my Mac. It’s easy to edit photos once uploaded, so the editing process is simple.
      After completing my VoiceThread I found it easy to share and post it to my blog. My classmates and I were then able to collaborate by leaving comments on each other’s VoiceThreads.
In my fourth grade internship class we use VoiceThread to collaborate with our pen pals in Barrow. My students took pictures during a science field trip. Then we uploaded and arranged the photos. The students wrote sentences of what they wanted to share in their photos. Next, they added their audio clips to their photos. We sent the VoiceThread to our friends in Barrow and a few days later they had left comments on our photos.
       This experience was very exciting to my fourth grade students. Being able to share voices and photos is very personal for them. They feel they have a connection to their audience by their responses. Also important, in our photos we compare different parts of Alaska. Fourth grade students study Alaska regions and its important for the students they have a personal connection with places outside of Juneau.
       I have had two positive experiences with VoiceThread. I look forward to responding back to our friends in Barrow. I also look forward to starting a new project with the students. The only negative thing is that I have to organize and upload the photos before we comment on them. I just have to know ahead of time. I will be using VoiceThread again soon with my fourth graders. They are inspired to write and share about the place they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment